Description This tankard is one of a pair in the Walters collection made for export to Europe, specifically to Holland through the East India Trading Company. The body has slightly bowed sides painted with underglaze blue cobalt depicting a mountain landscape of temples and pavilions on wooded hills and houses on the banks of a wide river. Around the base is a ring of foliation and the upper rim a band of chrysanthemum. A silver lid engraved with a crest was mounted to the porcelain once it has arrived in Europe.
- Masterpieces of Chinese Porcelain. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1980-1981.
Provenance William T. or Henry Walters Collection, Baltimore, prior to 1896 [mode of acquisition unknown]; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.
Credit Acquired by William T. or Henry Walters, before 1896
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License