Description Troyon is best known for his animal paintings but, in fact, specialized in landscape painting in his early career. This picturesque view shows a scene on the banks of the Touques River in Normandy where he painted regularly in the 1850s together with Eugène Boudin and Emile van Marcke. The sun is directly overhead, fringing the clouds, shimmering on the water, and illuminating the backs of the cows. Troyon's mastery of light was admired by the young Claude Monet. So highly regarded was this river scene that it was included in an exhibition held in 1883 in the galleries of Georges Petit, Paris, to celebrate the world's alleged "One Hundred Masterpieces."
|7/16/1984||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- The Works of Antoine-Louis Barye. American Art Gallery (New York), New York. 1889-1890.
- Cent chefs d'oeuvres des collections parisiennes. Galerie Georges Petit, Paris. 1883.
- The Taste of Maryland: Art Collecting in Maryland 1800-1934. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984.
- Before Monet: Landscape Painting in France and Impressionist Masters: Highlights from The Walters Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998.
- A Magnificent Age: Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte. 2002-2004.
- The Road to Impressionism: Landscapes from Corot to Manet. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2004-2005.
- The Road to Impressionism: Barbizon Landscapes from the Walters Art Museum. The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis; The Frick Art & Historical Center, Pittsburgh. 2008-2009.
Provenance Suermondt [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Suermondt Collection Sale, February 1877; Narischkine [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Narischkine Collection Sale, 1883, no. 82; Gustave Viot [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Gustave Viot Collection Sale, Paris, May 25, 1886, no. 9; William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1886, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] In black at bottom left: C. Troyon.; [Date] In black at bottom left: 1851.
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1886
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License