Description The "kovsh" is a drinking vessel that traces its origins to a medieval wooden boat-shaped ladle. This example is made with Siberian jade or nephrite. It was intended to be an imperial piece, but was never delivered. The kovsh was sent by Pottier to Henry Walters in 1930.
|1/23/1988||Examination||examined for condition|
|2/28/2002||Treatment||examined for condition; other|
- Russian Art: Icons and Decorative Arts from the Origin to the Twentieth Century. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1959-1960.
- A Millennium of Christianity: Russian Art from The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988-1989.
- The Fabergé Menagerie. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus; Portland Art Museum, Portland. 2003-2004.
Provenance Acquired by Alexandre Polovtsoff (Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Polovtsov), Paris; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1930; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.
Inscriptions [Date] May 6, 1911
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License