Description This bas-relief engraved plaque depicts an evangelist seated within an arcade. It was part of the 13th-century redecoration of the 11th-century "Saint Amandus Shrine" (Walters 53.9). It was separated from the shrine until the Walters Art Museum purchased the plaque in 1976. It is now mounted on the roof with the three other evangelist panels.
- Benedictus Pater Europae 480-1980. Kunsthal Sint-Pietersabdij, Ghent. 1980-1981.
Provenance Edmond de Bruyn, Brussels, prior to 1933; Louis Jakobs von Merlen, Antwerp, 1949, by gift; Victor Jakobs van Merlen, Brussels, 1964, by inheritence; Walters Art Museum, 1976, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase, 1976
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License