Description This panel once formed together with its pair 71.67 the side wings of a triptych icon. Each wing is divided into four registers, showing inward-facing figures that originally drew the viewer's attention to the now missing image in the center. The overall arrangement follows a strict hierarchy, with a pair of angels in the top register followed by the apostles Paul and Peter and by four martyrs holding crosses.
Provenance Victor Gay, Paris, by purchase; Sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, March 23, 1909, no. 80; Gaston Le Breton, Rouen, by purchase; Sale, Paris, December 6, 1921, no. 193; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1926, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1926
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License