Description The roundels of this stone lintel show, on the left, Samson killing the lion, and, on the right, Delilah holding a flower, a reference to her role as the flirtatious temptress and seducer of Samson. The relief is from a doorway in the wealthy medieval town of Cluny, famous for its Benedictine monastery, which was the largest in the world at one time. Many of the town's houses were decorated with carved capitals and lintels, like this one.
|4/24/1974||Treatment||cleaned; coated; repaired|
Provenance Abbey of Cluny (?), Cluny, ca. 1850 [sketched by Jean-Claude Barat]; in situ 10 rue de la Barre, Cluny [in undated photograph]; Mme. Jacques Bacri, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, October 13, 1971, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase with funds provided by the S. & A.P. Fund, 1971
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License