Description In 1880, Sisley moved from Paris to Veneux-Nadon, a few miles southeast of Fontainebleau, and remained in the region for the rest of his life. This view is one of several showing Saint-Mammès, a port town for barge traffic where the Seine and Loing Rivers meet, that Sisley painted at different times of the day from approximately the same location. By the 1880s, the artist had adopted a vigorous style, applying the pigments in rich, dense strokes.
|10/05/1951||Treatment||cleaned; examined for condition|
|2/14/1961||Treatment||cleaned; repaired; coated|
- New Light on Old Pictures: Dutch and Flemish Paintings from the Walters. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1981-1982.
- Discerning Tastes: Montreal Collectors 1880-1920. The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal. 1989-1990.
- Illuminations: Images of Landscape in France, 1855-1885. The Heckscher Museum, Huntington; The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore; The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis. 1990.
- Alfred Sisley: Master Impressionist. Royal Academy of Arts, London; Musee D'Orsay, Paris; The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1992-1993.
- Before Monet: Landscape Painting in France and Impressionist Masters: Highlights from The Walters Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998.
- Triumph of French Painting: Masterpieces from Ingres to Matisse. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Norton Museum of Art, West Palm Beach; Dayton Art Institute, Dayton; Royal Academy of Arts, London; Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo. 2000-2002.
- A Magnificent Age: Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte. 2002-2004.
- Inspiring Impressionism. High Museum of Art, Atlanta; Denver Art Museum, Denver; Seattle Art Museum, Seattle. 2007-2008.
- 19th Century Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum. Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Santa Barbara; Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art, Austin. 2010-2011.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
- Alfred Sisley (1839-1899): Impressionist Master. The Bruce Museum, Greenwich; Caumont Centre d'Art, Aix-en-Provence. 2017.
Provenance Durand-Ruel, Paris; William Van Horne, Montreal, May 6, 1892, by purchase; Durand-Ruel, New York, April 15, 1893, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, January 12, 1909, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Lower left: Sisley
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1909
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License