Description Szolnok, located on the Theiss River in central Hungary, was an important market center of 11,000 inhabitants in the mid 19th century. Pettenkofen first visited it in 1851, and returned repeatedly over the next 30 years. In this work the sunlight has broken through the cloudy sky to illuminate a colorful marketplace surrounded by low houses with white walls and thatched roofs. On the right, near a wayside cross enclosed by a picket fence, peasants mill about the vegetable stands and wagons. Several piles of large green melons are visible. Livestock forage freely in the dusty terrain. Close to the foreground is a bedraggled gypsy nursing an infant followed by another child.
|7/18/1972||Treatment||repaired; loss compensation; coated; other|
Provenance F. J. Gsell, Vienna [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; F. J. Gsell Sale, Vienna, March 14, 1872; Antoine W. Oelzelt, Vienna [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Antoine W. Oelzelt Sale, Vienna, November 18-19, 1878, no. 56; William T. Walters, Baltimore, November 18-19, 1878, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] At upper right in script: Pettenkofen; [Stencil] On reverse: WIMMER & CO / GALLERY OF FINE ARTS / MUNICH; [Inscription] Impressed on reverse: TACHET / BREVETTE / A PARIS; [Seal] On reverse, wax seal with coat of arms and a coronet
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1878
Download Images Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License