Description The religious Order of St. James (Sant Iago) was a military order established in 1171 at the pilgrimage cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain to protect it from attacks by Muslims. Pilgrims to the church frequently ate scallops and attached the empty shells to their hats. Members of the order adopted the scallop shell as their badge.
|1/26/1988||Treatment||cleaned; examined for condition|
|5/09/1991||Examination||examined for condition|
|4/26/2005||Treatment||cleaned; coated; other|
- World of Wonder. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1971-1972.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Carl Schon, Inc., Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1945, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase, 1945
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License