Description The fragment, discovered in the lion temple at Meroë, capital of the Meroitic Kingdom, was part of a commemorative monument to King Tanyidamani. One side depicts the ruler in royal costume with ram's-head earrings, an Egyptian crown, and a scepter in his hand. An image of the lion-headed war- and fertility-god Apedemak appears on the other side. The deity holds a bundle of sorghum and a scepter topped with a small seated lion. The inscriptions are in Meroitic script and name the king and the god.
|9/15/1976||Treatment||technical study; cleaned; loss compensation; re-housed|
|1/05/1980||Treatment||examined for loan|
|5/10/1995||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|4/26/1996||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|11/23/1999||Treatment||cleaned; loss compensation; coated|
- Africa in Antiquity: The Arts of Ancient Nubia and the Sudan. Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn; Seattle Art Museum, Seattle; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; The Hague Municipal Museum, Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, The Hague. 1978-1979.
- Africa: The Art of a Continent. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York. 1996.
- Egypt in Africa. Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis. 1996.
Provenance William MacGregor, Tamworth, Staffordshire; Sale, Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, London, June 26-29 and July 4-6, 1922, no. 469; Dikran Kelekian, New York and Paris, 1922, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1923, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1923
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License