Description This scene depicts the first miracle of Christ, related in the Gospel of John. At a wedding, after all the wine had been drunk, Jesus ordered six jars to be filled with water, which he then turned into wine. Here, Jesus points to the jars while his mother gazes reverently at him. Gandolfi introduces a variety of figures, including both an oriental man wearing a turban and an African servant, and anecdotal details (the fighting animals), resulting in a liveliness of pictorial expression comparable to Tiepolo. This work was the "modello" (preparatory version) for an enormous canvas painted for the eating hall in the convent of San Salvatore in Bologna and now in the National Museum there. For more information on this painting, please see Federico Zeri's 1976 catalogue no. 442, p. 553.
|8/26/1985||Examination||examined for condition|
- Bella Pittura: The Art of the Gandolfi. National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock. 1993.
- Tiepolo Unveiled: The Restoration of a Masterpiece. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1996.
Provenance The Counts Grassi, Bologna [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [date and mode of acquisition unknown] [1881 catalogue: no. 95; 1897 catalogue: no. 410, as G. B. Tiepolo]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License