Description This panel is a fragment from the right side of a large altarpiece. The complete painting must have represented the Madonna and Child enthroned with one saint on either side. According to a scheme common in late 15th-century Florentine painting, a marble wall, enriched with cornices and polychrome incrustations, formed a niche around the throne of the Virgin Mary with blue sky above. This depiction of St. John and another fragment which was part of the same altarpiece, Madonna and Child, National Museum, La Valetta, Malta), display a close stylistic connection to Botticelli's San Barbara altarpiece in the Uffizi in Florenze. The altarpiece from which the Walters' fragment came is therefore attributed by Zeri to Botticelli's workshop. For more information on this altarpiece, please see Federico Zeri's 1976 catalogue no. 59, pp. 95-96.
|12/31/1969||Examination||examined for condition|
|11/01/1945||Treatment||cleaned; coated; examined for exhibition; filled; inpainted; reconstructed; varnish removed or reduced|
|7/17/1968||Treatment||coated; filled; inpainted; varnish removed or reduced|
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [date and mode of acquisition unknown] [1897 catalogue: no. 96, as Botticelli]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License