This is 2nd c. A.D. carved marble funerary urn was made for a Roman lady named Novia Clara. The urn is empty; no ashes or contents remain. The urn was heavily restored in the past, prior to acquisition by Henry Walters in 1903. The base or foot of the urn is a carved marble restoration. The marble knop on the lid is a restoration but it appears to be from another marble vessel. The surviving Roman fragments were assembled using metal staples or cramps, work which was probably done in the 19th century. The old structural repairs, while employing methods and materials we would not choose today, remain stable and do not require redoing. The surface was cleaned in 1961 and again in 2001. In 2001, fills and inpainting of losses on the surface were redone using reversible, conservation-quality acrylic materials.
|12/31/1969||Technical Report||examined for technical study|
|5/29/2001||Treatment||cleaned; loss compensation|