Description Rinehart, the son of a Carroll County farmer, enrolled at the Maryland Institute in Baltimore. Later, he found employment at a local marble yard carving fireplace mantles. In 1855, Rinehart visited Italy for the first time but returned briefly to Baltimore to open a studio. However, with the financial backing of his life-long friend and patron William T. Walters, he returned to Italy and opened his permanent studio in Rome.
|1/10/2000||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- Millet and Barbizon Art. Matsumoto City Museum, Matsumoto City; Tokuyama City Museum of Art and History, Tokuyama; Kasama Nichido Museum, Kasama City; Ishikawa Prefectural Museum of Art, Kanazawa. 1996.
- The Taste of Maryland: Art Collecting in Maryland 1800-1934. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984.
- The Allure of Bronze. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1995.
- Triumph of French Painting: Masterpieces from Ingres to Matisse. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Norton Museum of Art, West Palm Beach; Dayton Art Institute, Dayton; Royal Academy of Arts, London; Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo. 2000-2002.
- Rinehart's Studio: Rough Stone to Living Marble. 2015.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1867, by commission; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Wm.H.Rinehart Roma 1867
Credit Commissioned by William T. Walters, 1867
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License