Description A remarkable example of the re-use of a work of art, reflecting the course of Egypt's long history, this statue was originally carved to commemorate a powerful government official. A thousand years later the inscription naming this unknown man was erased, and a carved scene was added depicting its new owner, Pa-di-iset, son of Apy, worshipping the gods Osiris, Horus, and Isis. From a text on the rear of the statue we learn that Pa-di-iset was a diplomatic messenger to the neighboring lands of Canaan and Peleset (Palestine).
|12/31/1969||Treatment||cleaned; coated; other|
|5/02/1984||Examination||examined for exhibition|
- The Taste of Maryland: Art Collecting in Maryland 1800-1934. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984.
- Highlights from the Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998-2001.
Provenance Maurice Nahman, Cairo; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1928; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Translation] caption of the scene on the kilt: Ka of Osiris: Pa-di-iset, the justified, son of Apy. [Translation] on the back pillar: The only renowned one, the impartial envoy of Philistine Canaan, Pa-di-iset, son of Apy.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1928
Download Images Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License