Description The square plate of this buckle is divided by cloisons (wire strips) into small cavities set with garnets and blue and green glass pastes. Cross-hatched gold foil underlies the remains of the central green paste. This would have given a shimmering effect to the setting when this buckle was new. Such buckles are characteristic of Visigothic metalwork.
|6/01/1983||Treatment||cleaned; coated; repaired; other|
|6/08/1983||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|7/07/2009||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
- Heirs of the Empire in North Africa-The Kingdom of the Vandals. Badisches Landesmuseum, Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe. 2009-2010.
Provenance [Found in Estramadura, Spain (?)]; Henri Daguerre, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, October 10, 1930, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1930
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License