Description This folding icon was originally a triptych (three-paneled icon); the right wing is now lost. The panels that remain depict, on the left, Christ on the Road to Calvary and, on the right, the Crucifixion. This icon is an excellent example of the art produced on the Greek Island of Crete (then under Venetian control), where the Byzantine tradition of icon painting had survived the fall of the empire. The strong color contrasts, fluid highlights, and contorted poses of the figures suggest that the icon was painted by George Klontzas, one of the most innovative Cretan icon painters of the late 16th century.
|2/17/1947||Treatment||cleaned; other; varnish removed or reduced|
- Holy Image, Holy Space: Icons and Frescoes from Greece. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore; Center for the Fine Arts, Miami; Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, San Francisco; The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland; The Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond. 1988-1990.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License