Description This bust was commissioned in 1930 shortly after the bronze version [WAM 28.5] and derives from the same plaster model. It was intended as a pendant to the marble bust of William T. Walters, Henry's father, by Rinehart [WAM 28.9]. Schuler, a native of Lorraine (in present-day France), was raised in Baltimore and attended the School of Art and Design at the Maryland Institute. He received the Rinehart Prize, enabling him to study in Paris. After receiving awards at the Paris Salon, Schuler returned to Baltimore, where he pursued a highly successful career as the city's leading sculptor and founded the Schuler School of Fine Art.
The bust had been in storage for many years. The surface was cleaned using erasers, cosmetic sponges and swabs dampened using citrate solution buffered to pH 10-11 to remove dirt and grime.
|6/10/2015||Treatment||Cleaned for exhibition|
Provenance Sadie Jones (Mrs. Henry Walters), New York [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Mrs. John Russell Pope [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1947, by gift.
Credit Gift of Mrs. John Russell Pope, 1947
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License