Description Muted colors and subtle tonal harmonies characterize this view of the fast-flowing Adige River as it passes beneath the five arches of the Ponte della Pietra (two arches are Roman, the central two date from 1520, and the last was a reconstruction of about 1528). Discernible upstream at the left are several palazzi and the Duomo of S. Maria Matricolare, initially a Romanesque construction with later additions, including a campanile designed by Sanmichele, and at the right the region of S. Stefano and the bastion of S. Giorgio silhouetted against the horizon. This work is presumed to have been executed during Thaulow's trip across northern Italy to Venice in 1894.
|10/03/1994||Examination||examined for condition|
|4/01/1995||Treatment||cleaned; loss compensation; coated; repaired; other|
- A Baltimorean in Paris: George A. Lucas, 1860-1909. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase [from either Georges Petit, April 2, 1902 or from Montaignac, May 14, 1902, together with a Marilhat]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Lower right: Frits Thaulow
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License