Description Delacroix described the spectacular and violent military pageantry at the court of Sultan Abd-er-Rahmen of Morocco (1778-1859), which he witnessed while accompanying Count Charles de Mornay on a diplomatic expedition on behalf of King Louis Philippe of France in 1832: "During their military exercises, which consist of riding their horses at full-speed and stopping them suddenly after firing a shot, it often happens that the horses carry away their riders and fight each other when they collide."
|6/26/1962||Treatment||x-rayed; loss compensation; coated|
|5/29/1986||Examination||examined for loan|
|5/29/1996||Examination||examined for condition|
- [Exhibition title unknown, held at Galerie des Beaux-Arts]. Galerie des Beaux-Arts, Paris, Paris. 1844.
- Eugène Delacroix, 1798-1863. Art Gallery of Toronto, Toronto; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa. 1962-1963.
- Orientalism: Delacroix to Klee. Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney; Auckland Art Gallery, Auckland. 1997-1998.
- A Magnificent Age: Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte. 2002-2004.
- 19th Century Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum. Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Santa Barbara; Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art, Austin. 2010-2011.
- Delacroix and the Matter of Finish. Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham. 2013-2014.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance Schwabacher (?) [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Sale M. de S. [Schwabacher (?)], May 5, 1877, no. 6; Arnold and Tripp, February 12, 1881, by purchase [see Arnold, Tripp et Compagnie, Livre d'entrée, no. 52 and Livre de Sortie, no. 1159, Collection of M. Dieterle]; William T. Walters, Baltimore, May 9, 1883, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Lower left: Eug. Delacroix
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1883
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License