Description The Castellani workshop was famous for its copies of ancient jewelry, and this necklace has been attributed Giacinto Melillo, one of Alessandro Castellani's apprentices and protégés (another similar necklace in the Walters collection, 57.1530, bears his mark on the clasp). In 1865, he took over Castellani's workshop in Naples, which Henry Walters visited in 1903.
|11/02/1978||Examination||examined for condition|
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2006-2009.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1903, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1903
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License