Description The upper part of the bowl is embossed in relief with eighteen flutes, decorated with floral scrolls in gilding on a white ground. The rim and the intervals between the flutes are blue, with floral ornaments in gilding. The bottom of the bowl is of a white ground, embossed with eighteen gadroons, alternately blue and green, tapering towards the center with their arched tops spaced between the separations of the flutes above them. The gilt ornaments are the same as on the upper part. At the inner center of the bowl is an applied medallion of enamel, remade by André in Paris at the end of the 19th century, with the arms of the Mocenigo family: gules, a chevron azure, between three quatrefoils azure. The vasiform stem is blue, with eight white flutes in relief on the lower curve. The foot consists of a bell-shaped upper part, green, with floral and other ornaments in gilding, and of a depressed base, blue, decorated with a gilt scroll between two bands of running foliage. It is held in a copper-gilt rim. The inside of the foot is blue.
- 25th Anniversary Exhibition of European Masterpieces. The Washington County Museum, Hagerstown. 1956.
- Three Great Centuries of Venetian Glass. Corning Museum of Glass, Corning. 1958.
Provenance Emile Gavet [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Sale, Paris, May 31, 1897, no. 719; J. Egger [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Jacques Seligmann, Paris, November 3, 1905, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1906, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1906
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License