Description This cross would have been placed on the altar and used by priests for blessing the faithful. In the 17th-18th centuries, it was usual for such crosses to be carved out of a single piece of boxwood and fitted with silver mounts. The center here shows the Crucifixion on one side and Christ's Baptism on the other. The horizontal arms contain images of the four evangelists. The Crucifixion side also contains scenes of the Incredulity of Thomas and Resurrection; the Baptism side - of the Annunciation and Presentation of Christ in the Temple.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, [date of acquisition unknown] by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License