Results 1 543
48 Previous Next

Book of Hours


Description Exhibitions Provenance Credit
Description This fine illuminated Book of Hours was produced in two stages in the second and third quarters of the fifteenth century. The manuscript contains eleven full-page miniatures and twenty historiated initials. The first stage of production includes a section attributed to the Masters of Zweder van Culemborg and the calendar (fols. 3r-14v, 52v-211v), while additional prayers illustrated in the style of the workshop of Willem Vrelant were added later in the fifteenth century (fols. 16r-50v, 213r-223r), presumably when the book was bound in its present binding. The Hours of the Virgin is for the Use of Rome. The Use of the Office of the Dead is unidentified, but the calendar is for the Use of Utrecht. The two separate parts of the manuscript were bound together in Flanders. The sections of W.168 attributed to the Masters of Zweder van Culemborg have been compared to Utrecht, Utrecht University Ms. 1037; Cambridge, Fitzwilliam Museum James Ms. 141; the second hand in New York, Pierpont Morgan Library Ms. M.87; Stockholm, Royal Library A 226, and Philadelphia, Free Library Lewis Ms. 88.
Exhibitions
  • Illuminated Manuscripts: Masterpieces in Miniature. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984-1985.
  • Time Sanctified: The Book of Hours in Medieval Art and Life. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988.
  • The Golden Age of Dutch Manuscript Painting. Rijkmuseum Het Catharijneconvent, Utrecht; The Morgan Library & Museum, New York. 1989-1990.
  • To Hell and Back: Medieval Images of the Afterworld. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1995.
  • The Origins of Dutch Painting: Manuscripts from the Fifteenth Century. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998.
Provenance Libraire Morgand, number 26084, 19th century; Henry Walters, Baltimore, before 1931 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters

Download PDF Add to Collection Creative Commons License

Period
ca. 1430-1435, with additions ca. 1460
Medium
ink and pigments on medium-weight, light-cream-colored parchment, well surfaced on both sides; miniatures on heavier parchment between black calfskin covering beech boards; blind panel-stamping laid out in two panels on both boards, each panel displaying two vine-scrolls in mirror image of each other containing a bird, a rabbit couchant, a cock, a deer couchant, and a pelican in piety; both panels surrounded by the inscription "Ora pro nobis sancta / Dei genitrix ut / digni efficamur promis / sione Xpristi"; between panels a smaller compartment composed of three stamps displaying a wivern couchant, St. Margaret emerging from the dragon, and a gryphon rampant; all edges gilt; indications of a central fastening, now a pair of late Gothic brass catch-and-strap clasps hinging from lower board
(Manuscripts & Rare Books)
Accession Number
W.168
Measurements
H: 6 5/16 x W: 4 1/2 in. (16 x 11.4 cm)
Geographies
Location Within Museum
Not On View

Tags


    Thumbnail: Book of Hours
    Zoom Out Zoom In Back to Details  
    Full Size: Book of Hours