Description Saint Andrew, holding a scroll, looks intently to his left, indicating that the panel once may have formed part of a group of icons with Christ at the center. It may have been placed on the upper tier of an "iconostasis," the screen dividing the sanctuary from the nave in an Orthodox Church. The color scheme of the icon is unusual in its use of extremely bright colors for the saint's robe and a mustard yellow - instead of gold - for the background.
|1/14/1960||Treatment||examined for condition; other|
- Holy Image, Holy Space: Icons and Frescoes from Greece. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore; Center for the Fine Arts, Miami; Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, San Francisco; The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland; The Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond. 1988-1990.
- Fabergé and the Russian Crafts Tradition: An Empire's Legacy . 2017-2018.
Provenance Alexandre Polovtsoff (Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Polovtsov), Paris, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1930, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1930
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License