Description Made of gold, this necklace has an oval blue stone flanked by two green stones, with all three in box settings hinged and secured with toggle pins. Below is a cruciform assemblage of two garnets and two green stones, also in box settings and hinged in the same manner. The rest of the necklace, compromising pairs of green stones, garnets, and pearls, is ancient but probably did not originally belong to the centerpiece of mounted stones.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
- From Alexander to Cleopatra: Greek Art of the Hellenistic Age. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988-1989.
Provenance [From a tomb near Olbia, Ukraine (?)]; Peter Mavrogordato, 1913 [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; F. L. van Gans, Frankfurt [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Galerie Bachstitz, The Hague; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1921, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1921
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License