Description The celebration of the Divine Liturgy is one of the most important ceremonies in the Christian Church. This pair of lampstands is part of a silver service (with Walters 57.645, 57.642, 57.644, 57.649, 57.646, 57.650, and 57.638) that is one of only four to survive from the first "golden age" of Byzantium (6th century). Each of the vessels in this service performed a sacred function in the liturgical service. Lamps, either suspended or placed on stands, illuminated the silver with a soft glow. The lamps burned perfumed oil, which added a heavenly fragrance. This silver service was found in Syria in 1910, in the village of Kurin. The Greek form of its name, Kaper Koraon, is inscribed on several pieces in the treasure, including a chalice, which reads: "...treasure of the Church of St. Sergios of the village of Kaper Koraon." Almost all of the vessels record the names of donors who gave pieces from their private dinner services in fulfillment of a vow, to gain divine blessing, or in prayer for salvation.
Provenance [Excavated in Syria, 1908-1910]; Tawfic Abucasem, Hama and Port Said, ca. 1913, by purchase; Joseph Brummer, Paris, ca. 1928, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] 57.634: + Σέργις (καὶ) Συμεώνης (καὶ) Δανιὴλ (καὶ) Θωμᾶς υἱοὶ Μαξιμίνου κώμη Καπρο Κοραω εὐξάμενοι / τὴν εὐχὴν ἀπέδωκαν τῶ ἁγίου Σεργίου (καὶ) Βάχχου + 57.635: + Σέργις (καὶ) Συμεὼν (καὶ) Δανιὴλ (καὶ) Θωμᾶς υἱοὶ Μαξιμίνου κώμη Καπρο Κοραω / + εὐξάμενοι τὴν εὐχὴν ἀπέδωκαν τῶ ἁγίου Σεργίου (καὶ) Βάχχου; [Translation] 57.634 in two lines around the lower edge of the apron of the base: + Having prayed, Maximinus’ sons Sergius, Symeonus, Daniel, and Thomas [from] the village of Kaper Koraon presented their prayer to the [Church] of Saint Sergius and Bacchus. 57.635: + Having prayed, Maximinus’ sons Sergius, Symeon, Daniel, and Thomas [from the] village of Kaper Koraon presented their prayer to the [Church] of Saint Sergius and Bacchus.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License