Description Binding is original. Plain wooden boards, broken and stitched, front and back, with remains of leather on the upper board; chain stitching at six stations
Provenance Monastery at Gunda Gunde, northeastern Ethiopia, early- to mid- sixteenth century; Church of Mädhane Aläm at Mäjate, Ethiopia, 1892-1893 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Private collection, France, prior to 1973 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Sam Fogg, London [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1998, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase with funds provided by the W. Alton Jones Foundation Acquisition Fund, 1998
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License