Description This belt buckle was found together with a bow fibula (Walters 57.665) and some glass beads in 1876 at Nagy-Várad, Hungary (Oradea, Romania). The square plate of the buckle is framed by carved scrolls bordering a dotted field inlaid with four leaf-shaped garnets radiating around a circular central setting of garnet and green paste.
Provenance [Found in Nagy-Várad (Grosswardein, Hungary, now Oradea, Romania), 1876]; A. Bolonyi, Jr. [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Nagy-Várad Museum, Oradea (Romania), c. 1876, by gift; Henry Walters, Baltimore, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License