Description The casket is architectural in form. Its "roof" supports a crest rail of pale blue fretwork terminating at either end with a black rooster with blue wings and green tail feathers. Just below the roof tiles, there are bands of green, pale blue and foiled red interlace. Circular roundels depicting maidens wearing kokoshniks and pearls have been painted in glossy enamel on the front and back face of the casket. On both ends, lozenge-shaped medallions muscians are portrayed, one playing a balalaika and the other an accordion–they may be serenading the maidens. The handles are shaped as pairs of roosters supporting a horizontal cross bar. Velvet over composite board lines the interior.
Cleaned to reduce silver tarnish in preparation for exhibition.
Provenance Jean M. Riddell, Washington, D.C. [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 2010, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Mark] In Cyrillic: Ovchinnikov with Imperial warrant; [Mark] 91, IK in Cyrillic for unidentified assay master over 1876, St. George
Credit Bequest of Mrs. Jean M. Riddell, 2010
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License