Description The beaker's exterior is divided into six recessed, oval fields separated by twisted colonettes. Three contain Usolsk-type blossoms on a greenish white ground alternating with others showing en grisaille, three more Moscow landmarks: the early 18th-century Tsar Bell; the Ivan the Great Bell Tower (1608) on Cathedral Square; and the Sukharev Tower (1690s), the ceremonial gateway to the city (razed in 1934). Above the ovals, the surface is set with six oval stones, alternatively citrines and amethysts in yellow and violet. Extra adornment is provided by a pattern of raised silver gilt dots on a trellis of spiral wires. Its slightly flaring foot is enameled with reddish brown "mushroom" shapes on a green ground with extra raised silver gilt circles.
Provenance Jean M. Riddell, Washington, D.C.; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 2010.
Inscriptions [Mark] In Cyrillic with Imperial warrant: Fabergé; [Symbols] kokoshnik left, 88; [Mark] In Cyrillic: IL (for Ivan Lebedkin, Moscow assay master), FR; [Inscription] On base: Erinerung / an / Moskau / 14/27 XI 1907; [Translation] Memory of Moscow
Credit Bequest of Mrs. Jean M. Riddell, 2010
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License