Description This fragment, along with Walters 27.563, was part of a ciborium, a free-standing stone canopy supported by columns and covering the altar or baptismal font of a church. It shows two birds eating a cluster of grapes on a vine. This motif is found frequently in Langobardic stonework in northern Italy. Relatively late in date, such architectural elements were carved after the Langobards had settled permanently in Italy.
Provenance Christine Alexander (Mrs. Breckenridge Long), Rome and Laurel, Maryland [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1959, by bequest.
Credit Bequest of Mrs. Breckenridge Long, 1959
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License