Description Encircling this graceful, arcaded chalice are two pairs of apostles flanking large crosses. The chalice is one of twenty-three silver altar vessels (formerly known as the "Hama Treasure") believed to have been found in 1910 in the Syrian village of Kurin. The Greek form of the name, Kaper Koraon, is inscribed on the rim. The treasure was probably hidden in the 8th century when, as a consequence of Arab conquests, parts of Syria were gradually abandoned by Byzantine Christians. These altar vessels form part of The Walters' rich holdings in Byzantine silver. The chalice, which held the wine for the Mass, was given to the church of St. Sergios by a man named Pelagios.
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Illuminated Manuscripts: Masterpieces in Miniature. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984-1985.
- Silver Treasure from Early Byzantium. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1986.
- Highlights from the Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998-2001.
- Byzantium, 330-1453. Royal Academy of Arts, London. 2008.
Provenance [Excavated in Syria, 1908-1910]; Tawfic Abucasem, Hama and Port Said, ca. 1913, by purchase; Joseph Brummer, Paris, ca. 1928, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] + Εὐχὲ Πελαγίου Βασιάνου. Κεμέλιον τοῦ ἁγίου Σεργίου / κώμις Καπερ Κοραων +; [Translation] + Prayer of Pelagius [and] Basianus (or: Prayer of Pelagius, [son] of Basianus). Sacred vessel of [the Church of] Saint Sergius in the village of Kaper Koraon.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License