Description The artist has portrayed himself at about the age of forty. He has chosen an oval format and has applied the pigments extremely thinly in smooth brush strokes, as was characteristic of many of his mature works. Other self-portraits include a small oil sketch on academy board painted about 1827, a pencil sketch probably made during his western trip in 1837, and a later work showing him as a bearded individual.
|1/12/1979||Examination||examined for condition|
- Alfred Jacob Miller: An Artist on the Oregon Trail. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth; Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody. 1981-1982.
- Alfred Jacob Miller: Maryland and the West. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore; Washington College, Chestertown; Frostburg State University, Frostburg; Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, Rockville. 1988.
- A Baltimore Watchman: An Exhibition of Drawings by Alfred Jacob Miller. Government House, Annapolis. 1996.
- Notable Marylanders in Portraiture. Government House, Annapolis. 1999-2000.
- Recollections of a Baltimore Artist: Sketches by Alfred Jacob Miller (1810-1874). The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2004.
Provenance Mrs. L. Vernon Miller, Sr. [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1978, by gift.
Credit Gift of Mrs. L. Vernon Miller, Sr., 1978
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License