Description This medallion in dark blue jasperware shows two women performing a sacrifice to peace at a burning altar. One is standing and the other is kneeling with arms and hands poised in a graceful manner. Clasped hands appear in relief on the side of the altar, and the standing figure holds an olive branch - both are symbols of peace.
Provenance Miss Elisabeth Gilman, before March 1948 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1948, by gift.
Inscriptions [Maker's mark] Wedgwood
Credit Gift of Miss Elisabeth Gilman
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License