Description This signet ring depicts Christian subject, St. John the Baptist. He is shown with his usual attributes, standing in a "contrapposto" pose, holding a large cross with a banner in his right arm. In his left hand, he holds a dish containing the Lamb of God with a cross. The saint wears skins and a large cloak draped loosely over his right arm. Next to his left leg, in reverse, is the inscription "FPC" in Roman capitals.
|2/09/1979||Examination||examined for condition|
|8/22/1979||Examination||examined for condition|
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Museum. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2006-2009.
- Bedazzled: 5,000 Years of Jewelry. El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso. 2010.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown] (?); Laura F. Delano, New York [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, June 9, 1947, by gift.
Inscriptions [Inscription] Next to the left leg, in reverse: FPC
Credit Gift of Laura F. Delano, 1947
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License