Description The oval medallion is carved with a half-length representation of Saint Filippo Neri (1515-1595), gazing heavenward in ecstasy. The body is shown in three-quarter view, with the head turned sharply to the right, emphasizing the distinctive profile. The saint is balding and wears a full beard. His hands are crossed over his chest. A typical gesture of devotion, this pose may refer specifically to the "miraculous palpitation of the heart" exprerienced by Saint Filipppo Neri in 1544. He wears a clerical robe with short, full sleeves over a loose shirt with lace at the cuffs. His head is surrounded by an aureola, the rays of light indicated by lines engraved into the surface. On the back of the plaque there is a paper label printed with the identification: SAINT / XVIII CENTURY / GRUEL COLLECTION, together with the pencilied number "73."
Provenance Acquired by Léon Gruel, Paris; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1912; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Label] Paper label on back: SAINT / XVIII CENTURY / GRUEL COLLECTION; [Number] In pencil: 73
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1912
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License