Description The Schatzbehalter des wahren Reichtümer des Heils (Treasury of the true riches of salvation) is a devotional text written by Stephan Fridolin and published by Anton Koberger in Nuremberg in 1491. Fridolin was a Franciscan monk who served as the preacher in a monastery in Nuremberg. His book is a treatise on the Passion of Christ, which contained 100 meditations on, and images of, Christ’s suffering. The series begins and ends with the representation of a pair of hands that serve as mnemonic (memory) devices. The ﬁrst pair of hands is marked with numbers that refer to individual meditations in the book — one through fifty on the left hand and fifty-one through 100 on the right. These images enabled readers to memorize 100 themes according to speciﬁc numbers and locations on the depicted hand. The second pair of hands presents small busts of saintly ﬁgures on the ten ﬁngers. The twelve apostles occupy the left hand, while another twelve saints, including the Evangelists, John the Baptist, and Joseph, are depicted on the right. Each ﬁgure is numbered and labeled with the saint’s name. With this image, the reader was supposed to memorize the twelve articles of the Apostles’ Creed printed next to the left hand. Both thumbs feature Christ and Mary, meant to help the reader remember the Passion of Christ.
- Book Arts in the Age of Durer. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 2000-2001.
- The Christmas Story: Picturing the Birth of Christ in Medieval Manuscripts. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2009-2010.
- Paradise Imagined: Images of the Garden in the Islamic and Christian World. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2012.
- The Art of Empathy: The Cummer Mother of Sorrows in Context. The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens, Jacksonville. 2013-2014.
- A Feast for the Senses: Art and Experience in Medieval Europe. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 2016-2017.
Provenance Julius Vandenpeereboom [1843-1917], Brussels. Acquired by Henry Walters, Baltimore; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License