Description In the center of this plate, a four-lobed flower is framed by a yellow square and surrounded by concentric zones of different geometric ornaments. On the reverse, nine conventional leaves are painted in blue and ochre, with parallel lines; in the center is an M crossed by a line, a mark that is present on other maiolica wares produced in Deruta. The geometric designs are painted in blue, ochre, yellow, and a metallic luster glaze, also characteristic of wares from early sixteenth century Deruta. For more on the use and development of luster glazes in Italian Renaissance maiolica workshops, see 48.1320; for more general information on “maiolica,” see 48.1336.
Provenance Mr. and Mrs. Fred J. van Slyke Jr. [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, Dec. 1954, by gift.
Inscriptions [Inscription] On the back center, an M crossed by a line; [Previous Collection inv. no.] PM.3096
Credit Gift/Fred J. Van Slyke
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License