Description A large oval, faceted glass crystal is mounted in an elaborate scrollwork frame of pinchbeck, a copper-zinc substitute for gold. Embedded in the crystal is a white, sulphide relief of Leda and the Swan. The sulphide technique of enclosing porcellaneous reliefs within crystals was patented in England by Apsley Pellatt in 1831.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
Provenance Mrs. John N. Adkins [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, November 14, 1972, by gift.
Credit Gift of Mrs. John N. Adkins, 1972
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License