Description Antonello Gaggini, the most important sculptor of Sicily during the 16th century, was the head of a large workshop. This piece was probably begun by Antonello and finished after his death by his son Antonino. Working in the style today known as the High Renaissance, his statues, like this piece, are characterized by a gracefulness and simplicity of form. The heavy folds of the draperies reveal that the artist studied ancient sculpture.
Provenance Cathedral of Palermo, Sicily, by commission; Joseph Brummer [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Joseph Brummer Sale, New York, 1949, Pt. III, no. 643; Walters Art Museum, June 9, 1949, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase, 1949
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License