Description A two-handed sword could span up to 6 ft. in length. It was initially a specialized weapon for the infantry, used for cutting or thrusting, to penetrate the enemy's front line. After the introduction of firearms to the battlefield by the end of the 1500s, the role of the two-handed sword was generally limited to the ceremonial use of bodyguards and civic militia. The maker's mark on the blade is similar to ones used by bladesmiths in Munich.
- World of Wonder. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1971-1972.
Provenance Schloss Mainberg, near Kitzingen; Sale, Rudolph Lepke, Baden-Baden, 1901, no. 73; Henry Griffith Keasbey, New York [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Sale, American Art Association, New York, December 5-6, 1924, no. 89; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1924 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1924
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License