Description In 1846, the government of King Louis-Philippe commissioned Barye to produce a life-size statue of a seated lion, which was installed in the Tuileries Gardens near his "Lion and Serpent" of 1833. Unlike the earlier sculpture, which conveyed a sense of the drama associated with the 1830 revolution, this majestic lion symbolizes strength and force, virtues associated with the seemingly stable Orléans monarchy. Twenty-one years later, a duplicate of the "Seated Lion" was cast from the original statue to form a pair. They were then installed flanking an entrance to the Louvre Palace used by Napoleon III. The Walters' bronze, a reduction of the Louvre sculptures, was cast in three sections. It served as a foundry model for producing sand-cast sculptures.
- The Works of Antoine-Louis Barye. American Art Gallery (New York), New York. 1889-1890.
- A View Toward Paris: The Lucas Collection of Nineteenth Century French Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 2006.
- Untamed: The Art of Antoine-Louis Barye. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; The Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, Palm Beach. 2007-2008.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore, prior to 1889 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Cast through from model: BARYE; [Number] Painted beneath in white paint: W 65; [Transcription] Painted beneath in black paint: MODE.
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, before 1889
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License