Description This delicate, fanciful portrait and its pair, Walters 38.227, were probably made as mementos of the marriage in 1626 of Jan Pellicorne (1597-after 1653) and Susanna van Collen, both from wealthy merchant families. The leopard skin thrown rakishly over his shoulder, his blouse, and the strap (for a quiver) all evoke the romantic, care-free, but strictly imaginary life of ancient Greek shepherds, as popularized by theatrical productions of the time. His carefully disheveled hair suggests a shepherd, but his neat mustache and goatee mark him as really a gentleman. Poelenburch was chiefly a painter of landscapes with biblical or mythological subjects who brought back from a trip to Rome a love of Italian luminosity. His intimate portraits, which share this luminosity, were in great demand with wealthy patrons, and were often displayed in ebony wood frames.
|12/23/1963||Examination||examined for condition|
|8/20/1964||Examination||examined for condition|
|9/02/1980||Treatment||examined for loan|
- Four Centuries of Miniature Painting from the Collections of the A. Jay Fink Foundation, Inc. and A.J. Fink, Personally. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1958-1959.
- The Golden Age: Dutch Seventeenth Century Portraiture. The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1980-1981.
- Masters of Light: Dutch Painters in Utrecht During the Golden Age. Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, San Francisco; The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore; The National Gallery, London. 1997-1998.
- Small Northern European Portraits from The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. National Gallery of Art, Washington. 2000.
- Highlights from the Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998-2001.
Provenance Valckenier-Pellicorne family; A. I. Valckenier (1731-1784), by inheritance; Abraham Jay Fink [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; A. Jay Fink Foundation, Inc., 1963, Baltimore; Walters Art Museum, 1963, by gift.
Inscriptions [Signature] Center left: C.P.
Credit Gift of the A. Jay Fink Foundation, Inc., in memory of Abraham Jay Fink, 1963
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License