Description Female fertility figures became popular during the Middle Kingdom. They were found in tombs of men and women, and were also later donated to the temples. This statuette displays a nude girl. She is adorned with a belt, and a long necklace with a pectoral. The figure once had a wig attached which is now lost, but the dowel holes where it would have been attached are preserved. The pubic triangle is marked by incised dots and a line.
|11/16/1982||Treatment||cleaned; examined for condition|
- Ivory: The Sumptuous Art. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1983-1984.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1925 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1925
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License