Description Daubigny's loose, spontaneous brushwork and rich use of color provide a direct link with the work of the impressionists. Like his younger colleagues, he was also regularly criticized for producing mere "impressions" rather than more detailed, polished views of nature. This vibrantly colored scene dates from 1874, the year of the first impressionist exhibition.
|7/16/1984||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- The Works of Antoine-Louis Barye. American Art Gallery (New York), New York. 1889-1890.
- From Ingres to Gauguin: French Nineteenth Century Paintings Owned in Maryland. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1951.
- An Exhibition of the Treasures of The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton; Pace Wildenstein Gallery, New York. 1967.
- Before Monet: Landscape Painting in France and Impressionist Masters: Highlights from The Walters Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1998.
- A Magnificent Age: Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte. 2002-2004.
- The Road to Impressionism: Landscapes from Corot to Manet. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2004-2005.
- The Road to Impressionism: Barbizon Landscapes from the Walters Art Museum. The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis; The Frick Art & Historical Center, Pittsburgh. 2008-2009.
- 19th Century Masterpieces from the Walters Art Museum. Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Santa Barbara; Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art, Austin. 2010-2011.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
- Daubigny, Monet, Van Gogh: Impressions of Landscape. Taft Museum of Art, Cincinnati; National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh; Amsterdam: Van Gogh Museum, AJ Amsterdam. 2016-2017.
Provenance Purchased by William T. Walters (through George A. Lucas as agent), Baltimore; inherited by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.
Inscriptions [Signature] In brown paint at lower right: Daubigny; [Date] In brown paint at lower right: 1874
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1887-1895
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License