Description This small breviary, composed of more than 500 folios, is extraordinary for its length, considering it is the summer portion of a two-volume breviary for the use of Liège. The manuscript was completed for ecclesiastical use at the Cathedral of Notre-Dame and St.-Lambert in Liège ca. 1420. This attribution is suggested, for instance, by the petitions to the congregation of this cathedral (fols. 114v-117v), as well as the armorial shield of the family of Surlet de Chokier of Liège represented at the opening of the Psalms. The manuscript has modest, but interesting, decoration with historiated and decorated initials marking the liturgical texts, and occasional angels playing instruments in the margins. The most notable pictorial effect is found in the initials inhabited by transparent figures on rich blue ground. The technique is found, for instance, on fol. 156r with the gold monstrance held by translucent angels for the feast of the Corpus Christi.
|8/19/2013||Treatment||binding stabilized; examined for digitization; media consolidation; tears repaired|
Provenance Likely created in Liège for ecclesiastical use of Notre-Dame and St.-Lambert. Acquired by the Surlet de Chokier family, Liège , 17th century. Acquired by Albertus of Liedekerke, 1725 . Purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, early 20th century; by bequest Walters Art Museum, 1931.  The manuscript was rebound and the armorial shield and a monogram from this family were added at the time  Ex libris, collection number 1543 on first front flyleaf recto
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download PDF Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License