Description The Virgin wears a diadem and is dressed in a blue robe and a purple mantle. The child Christ wears a long green robe. The group is seated on a low bench resting on a tiled floor. At an early date this plaque was exported to northern Italy, where it was set in a nielloed gilt-metal frame. God the Father appears in the nielloed plaque of the small tympanum and the band underneath is inscribed in niello: PAX VOBIS. The frame is decorated with acroteria, thorny acanthus leaves, egg-and-dart, dentils, cherubs' heads, palmettes, and flanked by two pilasters, their capitals adorned with acanthus leaves and two rosettes, their shafts with elongated leafy motifs.
Provenance Valerio Collection (?); Sale, Paris, December 18, 1893; Jacques Seligmann, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1911, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1911
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License