Description The cuneiform script records the order of King Ur-Bau of Lagash to rebuild the temple of its main god, Ningirsu. Ur-Bau was the predecessor of the famous King Gudea. The tablet also mentions that Ur-Bau built temples for other deities to demonstrate his political influence and power.
Provenance Edgar J. Banks, 1929 [claimed found at Tello]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Translation from composite text of Cuneiform Digital Library RIME 3/1.01.06.06] For Ningirsu, / the mighty warrior / of Enlil, / Ur-Baba, / the ruler / of Lagaš, / the son born / of Ninagala, / the Eninnu with the White Thunderbird / he built for him, / and his house of donkey stallions / he built for him. / For Baba, / the beautiful woman, / the daughter of An, / her temple of the Holy City / he built. / For the divine Holy Noble Lady / her temple of Urub / he built. / For Enki / his master / his temple / he built. / For Ninagala / his (personal) goddess, / her temple / he built. [https://cdli.ucla.edu/P272832]
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License