Description "Pinakes" (singular "pinax") are decorated plaques made usually of terracotta, but also of wood, ivory, stone, or metal, which were often dedicated as offerings in sanctuaries. The holes were used to hang them within the sanctuary on walls, trees, or even on the cult image of the deity. The terracotta examples were produced by the same pottery workshops that made vases. This black-figure example shows a "prothesis" scene, the lying-in-state of the deceased on a bed, surrounded by his family members, some of whom tear their hair in mourning.
Provenance Moise Emmanuelides, Athens, [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Joseph Brummer, New York and Paris, 1924, by purchase [Brummer inv. no. P1225]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1925, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1925
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License